Friday, December 28, 2007

Just like the Girl Scouts, but drunker


For the record, Jim and I had a fantastic time at the little get together.

The bar was a hoot-just the type of place Jim has wet dreams about turning our extra room off the garage into.

When we first got there, I told the hostess that we were meeting a group of people. When she asked me who, I felt a metaphorical puddle forming at my feet. Aside from Grant (who, as I previously mentioned, I haven't seen in person in about 16 years), I didn't know anyone. And Grant hadn't arrived yet.

Sure, I've commented on their blogs and maybe seen a quick spapshot in a post or two, but I felt a growing sense of panic at the thought of tapping the wrong person on the shoulder.

"Hi, I write a blog. Am I here to meet you?"

I decided the gregarious group at the bar looked friendly enough not to laugh in my face.

"Um, hello. This is going to sound really weird, but who are you here to meet?"

She turned out to be the fabulously warm and easy-to-talk to MizBubs (who, if you don't know by now, is one sexy mama).

The drinks were holyshitstrong and by about 11, I was taking my shoes off to ensure my upright status.

It was such a cool experience to meet a bunch of people who, up until that night, were kind of like imaginary friends to me--the proverbial "girlfriend in the Niagra Falls area".

There's been so many times I've read what someone wrote and thought, "We could totally hang out and get drunk together!". And lookee loo, I got to do just that with a handful of 'em!

I'm really glad we went. I know Jim was more apprehensive about what the night would bring as he was even less familiar with those in attendance, but I know he had a good time too. I can tell he's having fun when his voice gets louder accompanied by wild arm gestures (of course, that also means he's drunk, but who's counting?).

You can read all about the evening (and see some photos) here and here.


P.S. I am taking part in some guest blogging, along with a host of others, at Grant Miller Media. Stay tuned.

5 comments:

GETkristiLOVE said...

I wish I would have had a chance to talk to you longer girl, cuz I love a girl that loves bacon!

Joe said...

It was abso-lutely wonderful meeting you and your hub! You gots to come north and visit with us again, soon!

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I used to live near that bar (or so I was told) but never made it there. Sounds like I missed out.

bubbles said...

Wish we could have talked! Or did we? (blush)

I'm loving this blog of yours and I'll be back!

Oh, and I know what you mean about walking in the place! I had to laugh at myself...How to you ask for assistance? Uh, I'm here to meet a group of people. I don't know what they look like and I don't know their names. Do you know where they are sitting?

Tanya Espanya said...

I'm crushed I couldn't meet up with all of you.

This year, lady, I'm telling you, we'll meet!

For Your Scrapbook

My photo
I like stuff and things. I've been married for close to 14 years and have two miniature versions of myself running around (and it frightens me most of the time). I have never been nor will I ever be a vegetarian.