Friday, June 13, 2008

Is there anything better than funnel cake?

I think not.

Last night we went to a little carnival at one of the local churches.

Those Catholics know how to rake it in, let me tell ya'.

It was "wristband night" which meant you could pay $14 dollars a person and ride all the rides you wanted to. Sounds good in theory except that there were four of us and, regardless of age, it was still $14 dollars a person. We decided that we would only get the girls wristbands and hope they were up for riding without us.

And they were.

They had such a great time that we were practically dragging them out at close to 9 o'clock.

There was a beer tent too, but we didn't make it over there. I was just tickled that a church function had alcohol. This would never have gone over at the churches I grew up in.

Aside from the guilt, the priest scandals, not letting woman get ordained, the endless 'rules', and the ridiculously long wedding ceremonies, those Catholics really know how to party.

I don't normally care if people stare at us when we're out. I don't think tattooed people are quite the novelty they once were. Hell, everyone seems to have at least one these days.

But, and maybe I'm projecting here, it seemed like the looks went like this:

"Oh my, that couple has a lot of tattoos!"

"But look they have two sweet little girls that they are actually looking after."

"They act just like normal people."

"Aw...those freaks are just like us."

I try to never think that people would treat us any differently because of how we look, but we did put ourselves smack in the middle of a church function.

Nevertheless, I was pleasantly surprised.

Or maybe they thought we were there with the carnies.

7 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Sounds like a great time!

I thought your post was really thought provoking, in that, you were so pleasantly surprised that people thought so well of you [you said - despite the tatoos] but you have so many preconceived prejudices about Catholics-based on ??.

Catholics=see they are just like you, too!! hee....It's a fun two way street....

Some Guy said...

If a church used funnel cake for the communion "bread" they might just win me back.

Of course they'd have to lose all the preaching and guilt-making, too.

Rick said...

Oh no, nobody ever mistook a tattoo with straight lines or color for a carny tattoo. I think you are in the clear on that one.

Don't forget that Catholics also love to gamble! Bingo at a Catholic church is an amazing sight to behold.

Michael K said...

Of all the reasons one could be mistaken for a carnie, having tatoos is pretty mild.

Bacon Lady said...

Hi Skippymom,

You have a good point.

I don't have anything against the Catholics in particular. Live and let live, I say.

But since you called me out...er, asked. I guess my preconcieved prejudices (ouchie, don't like to think I have any of those, but alas...) come from all the many lasped Catholics I know personally, including my husband.

The funnel cake WAS fantastic though.

SkippyMom said...

I LOVE me some funnel cakes [and my also Catholic husband calls 'em Funeral Cakes - hates 'em]

I wasn't calling you out sweetie...I think you are fantastic [I hope you know that by now, from me] but I just thought it funny that your opinions about Catholics were replicated in what you thought those at the carnival were thinking about you [i.e. people with tatoos are bad, but HEY Look they aren't....]

I guess [since I am Catholic]I didn't appreciate [so much] your assumptions regarding all of us...

I just found it funny. I do adore your site...you say it like you think and are entitled [beauty of our own opinions, eh?] but when hypocrisy hits me straight in the face like a cold fish....I am gonna cook that bitch!

Hugs to you! [and I have an awesome recipe for funeral cakes if y'want?]

Bacon Lady said...

"...but when hypocrisy hits me straight in the face like a cold fish....I am gonna cook that bitch!"


Holy crap. Best.Quote.Ever.

I know it's going to sound all disingenuous at this point, but I promise that I really do not make the same assumptions about all Catholics. I happen to think you are pretty right on yourself.

Oh shit. This is turning into a group hug, isn't it?

I think we're both on the same page in this sense...

I don't want to be lumped in with the white trashprison tattoo/gotaTazonmyankle types and you don't want to be lumped in with the over-the-top zealots.

Oh, and send me that funnel cake recipe stat. Will I need to purchase a Fry Daddy for the occasion?

For Your Scrapbook

My photo
I like stuff and things. I've been married for close to 14 years and have two miniature versions of myself running around (and it frightens me most of the time). I have never been nor will I ever be a vegetarian.