Saturday, June 2, 2007

Yesterday I changed the course of history

At my house, smoking is relegated outside to the back porch.

Mornings, I sit out here with my coffee, cigarettes and laptop and ease into my day. I live such a charmed life, yes?

A few days ago I snuck out for a quick smoke break to find a butterfly frantically flapping its wings against the window, trying to find its way out. It was freaky, and this thing did not want to give up.

Two days later, the thing was still aflappin' at the window pane. "A" for effort, man.

It had been at it for so long, its wings were starting to fray, but it was hellbent on breaching the unbreachable.

I couldn't take it anymore. I set aside my disdain for touching any type of insect and carefully grabbed one of its flappers and threw it out the door.

What's that saying about a butterfly flapping its wings in China...

5 comments:

Tanya Espanya said...

Did you really post at 5:30 this morning?

Tanya Espanya said...

Wait...now I see my post says 6:42 am...but it's 8:42 am...what time zone have you got set up for you blog, you tricky girl?

Phil said...

I like that morning ritual.

Bacon Lady said...

Tanya: I actually did post that at 5:30 this morning (CST). I woke up at 5 and couldn't fall back asleep. I'm going to need some extra coffee today.

Phil: Gotta' start the day off right!

Cup said...

So, that's why the e-boys came flapping back to my inbox over the weekend. Thanks!

For Your Scrapbook

My photo
I like stuff and things. I've been married for close to 14 years and have two miniature versions of myself running around (and it frightens me most of the time). I have never been nor will I ever be a vegetarian.